Halloween 2014

For Halloween this year, I went with stylized versions of Wizrad of Oz’s Dorothy for myself and Scarecrow for my S.O.
They’re off the same design and construction, differing in fabrics and of course, sizing.
The top part of the dress is Simplicity 3618 and for the skirt is Butterick 6049.
The blouse is also from Simplicity 3618. I made half of the blouse in a lining material and the other half in lace.

I used blue gingham checked (what else?!) fabric for the Dorothy costume and a “fall harvest” cotton for the scarecrow costume. I made the hem high-low and trimmed the hem in 4″ wide ruffles. The white ruffles were on sale at Jo-Ann. I made the brown ruffles for the scarecrow costume from a brown polyester organza, cut and sewn into a bias tube 4″ wide and gathered into the skirt’s hem.

For fit and comfort, I added a stretch side back panel to the bodice on both dresses. The panels are lined in stretch lining. They allow the bodice to be very snug fitting without being uncomfortable.

Dorothy costume, front view

Dorothy costume, front view

Dorothy dress, side view, showing elastic panel

Dorothy dress, side view, showing elastic panel

Dorothy & Scarecrow

Dorothy & Scarecrow