- 11 tomatillos
- 1 white onion
- 3/4 C canned diced fire roasted tomatoes (I used Muir Glen Organic)
- 9 ozs of pureed mixture of:
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 1/2 tsp achiote paste
- 1 dried smoked poblano (soak in hot water for 1/2 hour to reconstitute before use), coarsely chopped
- 2 Tsps St. Germain elderflower liqueur
- 1 1/2 tsps salt
- 3 Tsps finely chopped cilantro
- finely chopped habanero to fine-tune the heat
- Quarter white onion.
- Cut tomatillos in halves.
Roast tomatillos and white onion at 450′ for approx. 20 minutes, or until blackened:
- Separately, puree to desired chunkiness: roasted tomatillos, roasted white onions, canned diced fire roasted tomatoes in blender.
- Puree together the next six ingredients:
- In large bowl, mix:
- Approx. 15 ozs. of tomatillos
- Approx. 6 ozs of pureed roasted white onion
- Most of onion/garlic/achiote/poblano/etc. mixture
- Add more of each mixture, and chopped habanero, to adjust taste and heat level.