My entry into burdastyle.com’s “Member Model Challenge”

burdastyle.com had a challenge for members to make a dress, the “Pleated Designer Dress”, and model it. I needed to fortify my work wardrobe and this dress is perfect for work, so off I went.

dsc_1838_bdsc_1835_bdsc_1822_bdsc_1834_b

I found a 50/50 cotton/polyester fabric at Jo-Ann, charcoal gray with white stripes. I like the blend because it should make for a wash-and-wear garment. I also like the stripes because it gives me the opportunity to play with the pattern’s design, which I think lends itself very well to juxtaposition of stripes. I would have liked the stripes to be a bit bolder, wider. That would have made for a more dramatic dress, but this fabric is not bad.
The pattern preparation is straightforward and easy: print out the pattern, tape the pages together, and cut out the pattern pieces. As is common with many burdastyle.com patterns, this pattern has no seam allowance. The seam allowance has to be added when cutting out the pattern.
I made a few changes to the pattern to better position the stripes. The first was to convert the back pieces, originally one per side, to have a princess seam: I extended the upper end of the back dart up and into the armscye seam. Adding the princess seam resulted in two pattern pieces per side, which can then have stripes running in different directions:

dsc_1865_b

The other change was the addition of a “belt” mid-section, which can be cut in four sections, again allowing for stripes in different directions:

dsc_1862_b

The construction is very straightforward. I would recommend this dress for less experienced sewers. The only slightly challenging part was the easing of the sleeve back piece into the sleeve front piece:

dsc_1863_b

As is, the skirt is a “pencil skirt”, with the expected degree of movement restriction. For the next version, I will add a center back walking slit. I might even add one to this dress, depending how annoying the lack of a walking slit turns out to be.