I bought some denim (97% cotton, 3% spandex) a while ago and have finally gotten around to making a pair of pants out of it.
Even though it’s denim, I wanted the pants to have a “dressy” silhouette instead of the normal “jeans” look. To that end, I used a pants pattern that I drafted for narrow legs, low rise, pants (the same pattern I used for the pants of my Halloween costume last year).
(For instructions on how to draft your own pants pattern, check this out.)
I decided on double-welted pockets all around. The two front pockets’ outside end straddles the side seam a little bit. It’s mostly because otherwise the pockets would be too close to the fly, but also because I have always felt that side pockets on pants would be more accessible, useful, etc. if they are located more towards the, well, side.
I had some “star of Texas” buttons in my buttons stash (yeah, I have a buttons stash, in addition to the usual fabrics stash) and thought they’d go great with the trousers.
I copied the waistband construction details from a pair of suit trousers of a suit I bought recently at Zara International.
Here are pics of the completed pants.